Guilty, or Grateful?Ryan | Monday, May 23rd, 2011 Leave a Comment
Should I feel guilty, or grateful?
Today I was supposed to swim for 45 minutes, easy laps, focus on cadence, yadda yadda yadda. Then, I was supposed to spin easily for 45 minutes. I forgot my local pool is closed on Mondays, so that left me with a mere 45-minute workout day coming off a weekend where I missed a key long run due to a potential injury (more on that in a moment).
In other words, I didn’t need a recovery day from fatigue.
But perhaps I needed a genuine recovery day as a reward for my body putting up with me not permitting it to rest so much after Friday’s terrible leg cramps.
Fortunately, after my ART appointment this morning, I learned that my hip flexor/TFL strain was mild at best and I’d be fine. My injury was essentially from overuse and probably an awkward position in one of my exercises (I’m thinking reverse situps or step ups with weights). It stems from a weak psoas muscle (deep in the lower abs) that triggers overcompensation in my left hip muscles.
It’s so strange that in my second go around with Ironman training, mentally I’m in great shape five weeks out but physically I’m practically falling apart. Some days I wonder if I’m going to sprint to the finish or stagger. However it turns out, I will cross the finish line. Walk, shuffle, jog, run or sprint, I will cross the finish line. I feel like I’m too experienced not to, and I’ve made so many mistakes over the past couple years and months that I’m due for a “good” race.
But I don’t expect one either. I expect to do my best, try to be smart, listen to my body, and take what the day gives me.
If only I listened to my body a bit more in training. I think I got lucky this weekend I didn’t tear something. It could have been a lot worse, only missing one big workout — one I’ll make up tomorrow morning.
So, guilty or grateful?
34 days and counting.
You May Also Like
- Recovery Day? I thought Mondays were supposed to be recovery days. Guess that’s in the past now. After a...
- Rest Required I participated in the eating of a full, three-week old pig at a Culver City restaurant last...
- Officially Recovered It didn’t occur to me until late this afternoon that I had run three days in a...
- A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Today between training sessions (swim and run in the misty rain), I went to the Annenberg...
- Well-Deserved Recovery No big workouts to report today, not after this past weekend’s mash-fest. Instead I took care of...