I Love it When a Plan Comes TogetherRyan | Monday, February 28th, 2011 Leave a Comment
Today’s swim workout almost didn’t happen. I forgot the local pool was closed on Mondays and I rarely have Monday swims. Fortunately, I had enough time to drive 20 minutes away to Calabasas, knowing it would be a super tight call if I’d make work on time. I had to make a quick decision about whether I was going to skip the workout. I could take the freeway and try to make a break for it, or I could admit defeat, go home, get my spin in on the bike and be content with that.
I decided to go for it.
What a great lesson learned.
The freeway opened up, I made it to the pool on time. And what would you know, I’m changing into my swim shorts when a friendly voice from the past calls out, “I know that dude!” It was my buddy, Dustin, whom I haven’t seen in months since he and his wife had their second child. We caught up, realized we were both doing Wildflower long course, and even had the opportunity to share a lane for our morning swim.
Talk about fortune via misfortune!
Bumping into Dustin made my morning. I felt so gratified that I put in the extra effort to make my swim workout because I wouldn’t have run into my friend, and I knew that I really earned that swim. Of course, I couldn’t get my spin in tonight, as I had other things to do before I leave on another business trip tomorrow. But, I’m going to be aggressive and try to cram three workouts in tomorrow before I get on the plane. A spin early tomorrow at sunrise, followed by another swim, and a strength-training session with Shannan at lunch.
Both Dustin and I agreed that fitting workouts into our hectic lives is a real tough challenge, for our significant others and for ourselves. But fewer things are more gratifying than when it all comes together, like George Pappard used to say in the original A-Team show…”I love it when a plan comes together.”
Or when you make up a new one on the fly.
113 days and counting.
PS: May not be able to blog much the next few nights, this time it’s the Game Developer’s Conference. Late nights. Early mornings. Gonna do my best though to get some training in. If you’re in SF and want to run on Wednesday a.m., let me know.
You May Also Like
- Easy Does It Today’s training session was a little easy, but I’m not complaining. Fortunately, my friend from high school,...
- Tough Tuesday I figured after a Mellow Monday that I’d have all kinds of energy to train today. False....
- Answering a Question I Don’t Want to Ask I’ve slept for close to 10 hours each of the past three nights. During that span, I’ve...
- Not Tapering Yet If this is tapering, I’m not feelin’ it yet. I just got done with a yoga class...
- So Close… My new website is almost ready! It was supposed to be launched today but it’s still propagating...