My Muse MantraRyan | Monday, September 27th, 2010 2 Comments
They cannot force us.
They must stop degrading us.
They will not control us.
We will be victorious!
These are lyrics from a Muse song called Uprising. I listened to them for about an hour straight tonight while on the treadmill. I played this song over and over…and over again on my new iPhone (which I LOVE, btw).
I know the words have nothing to do with triathlon. But they have everything to do with me right now as I am immersed in the peak phase of Ironman Arizona training. ”They” doesn’t matter. It’s not like someone is out to stop me from training hard. Or preventing me from doing my best. And if there is, that person is only me.
No, I think in this instance, “they” refers to things beyond my control going into the big day. Weather. Time. Mechanical troubles. Other racers. That’s at least what I pictured in my head while mindlessly cranking out the required 20 minutes in zone three sandwiched between two 20-minute light recovery jogs.
None of those potential negatives will bother me on race day. This is my new mantra for the next few weeks.
“They” will not force me to succumb to the elements.
Others’ actions (or inactions) will not control me.
I will be victorious.
53 days and counting.
You May Also Like
- Into the Wild Day Four of two-a-day sessions. I’m starting to feel the burn. The backs of my knees are...
- Calm Before the Storm There are 290 days left until Ironman Arizona. There are 14 hours left until the first race...
- 1,000 Yard Stare Saturday I’ve got the 1,000-yard stare down cold today. That unmistakable look worn by those who have pushed...
- An Exclusive Fraternity I had an interesting conversation with my buddy John this morning. We were talking about industry-related happenings...
- Race Ready Namaste. My weekend began with a yoga session by myself at home. As I’ve mentioned before, solitary...