New T-PaceRyan | Thursday, February 17th, 2011 4 Comments
I have a new swimming T-pace. It’s eight seconds faster than the previous mark, 1:48/100 yards. This has been confirmed after multiple sets of 500s at tonight’s Fortius swim.
My first indication of change in the water came during one of our early drills. I was supposed to hit my T-pace in the third of five sets of 100 yards and go faster for the remaining two sets of 100s. I started off way faster than anticipated, a brisk (for me) 1:37 without much effort. Problem. I was supposed to come in at 1:55, with the next set at 1:50. Problem again, as I “slowed” to 1:41. Then 1:37, 1:33, 1:32.
This continued for the remaining two sets of 500. More often than not, I came in at 1:40/100 with :20 rest, usually arriving closer to 1:37-1:39.
I suppose my real T-pace in the water in a non-stop 1,000 is still 1:48 as I’d imagine I’m slowing over the course of the TT. But this still gives me hope of improvement on the horizon. If I can maintain that 1:40 pace over longer distances, I’ll really start saving some major time in events where I’m wearing a wetsuit. And my swim times came after a fairly intense run early this morning at chilly Griffith Park. I ran my first 7:30-ish mile pace in roughly six months.
My strength is coming back…nearly three months removed from Ironman Arizona. I may have recovered physically a month ago, but I’m starting to see strength gains for the first time now. Even my trainer, Shannan, indicated that “my nervous system is coming back online” based on the improvement in my coordination and agility in recent sessions.
Man, an Ironman sure takes a toll if I’m just starting to get my nervous system back in working athletic order now!
Anyway, it’s really nice to see progress after being down in the dumps for so long. If there’s hope for me, there’s hope for you too. It just takes time. And patience. And a willingness to accept and trust the process of healing and rebuilding.
Not the easiest thing to do.
But certainly among the most worthwhile.
124 days and counting.
You May Also Like
- Change of Pace Day 3 This week’s theme clearly has been about shakin’ up my trainin’. Today I “borrowed” Steph’s iPod (mine’s...
- Change of Pace Today went according to plan, right until it didn’t. Sounds like a Yogi Berra-ism, right? Well, it...
- Flat But Functional I’m procrastinating. In my office that serves as a bike garage (c’mon, you do it too!), there...
- Recovery Day? I thought Mondays were supposed to be recovery days. Guess that’s in the past now. After a...
- Easy Does It Today’s training session was a little easy, but I’m not complaining. Fortunately, my friend from high school,...