Sure, Why Not?Ryan | Friday, May 13th, 2011 2 Comments
Chalk one up to timing.
Tomorrow, I’ve got a two-hour run scheduled on rolling hills. I’m supposed to stay within heart-rate zones 1-3.
Guess what? It just so happens the Palos Verdes Half Marathon is tomorrow! Rolling hills and all. So, is this going to be a good idea,or a bad one? I’ll let you know tomorrow at around mile 10!
The timing seems to be working in my favor though. I didn’t train much yesterday since I didn’t swim and I had run two days in a row prior. Today was my off-day. An unintentional taper, but a taper nonetheless.
On the other hand, am I weak from being sick and missing six hours of combined training last week? I honestly don’t know. I have trained seven hours this week so far, illness and largely fatigue free. I feel fresh, strong and eager to run tomorrow, so I suppose that’s a good sign.
The real challenge is going to be holding back at the event. But I’m going to treat it as an Ironman training run, meaning that despite the adrenaline I need to figure out how to hold back and pace myself even when I feel particularly strong. This is not a strength of mine. But it needs to become one. More important, I have a LONG training day on Sunday featuring a 6.5-hour brick AND an hour swim before that.
In other words, I’m doing a mini-Ironman on Sunday.
If that doesn’t force me to pace myself tomorrow, I don’t know what will. But ya know what? This is what it’s all about — challenging yourself constantly. Surprising yourself, and your body. For better or worse, I’m going to put myself out there tomorrow, on a tough course I haven’t experienced before, and try to enjoy the journey.
Why not, right?
Race report tomorrow night.
44 days and counting.
You May Also Like
- All That Jazz Uuh.Uuuuuuuhhhhh. That’s what I sounded like this morning when trying to wake up early after a...
- Just Another Manic Sunday So how was my Sunday? Swimming and running and yoga, oh my! Followed by a special dinner...
- The Crucible As I understand it, the traditional final major act Camp Pendleton Marine recruits go through before actually...
- Not Tapering Yet If this is tapering, I’m not feelin’ it yet. I just got done with a yoga class...
- Shattered but Happy I basically did an Ironman over the course of this weekend. Hence the lack of blog posts...